Friday 16 October 2009

Book Review Choice

I've chosen "The Ecology of Money" by Richard Douthwaite (1999) for my book review assignment. I chose this topic partly because I don't know alot about economics and thought this would be a good way to start educating myself, and begin fixing my knowledge gap in how money operates in the global system.
I chose this particular book because its written at a level at which I could grasp the concepts addressed, and it addresses two vitally relevant topics with regard to sustainability:-
1. "The need for a new balance between global and local economies" (coming back to that middle way again)
2. The issue of carbon-energy efficiency.

2 comments:

  1. Great choice, Caroline, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It relates really strongly to some of the module material in week 7, too. Let us know your thoughts, does he have any promising suggestions for SC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive just started reading the book and have been shocked to realise the house of cards which our financial system is in the West. How did that "dishonest goldsmith" concept de-rail our whole way of commerce so profoundly? It seems as if since those Restoration days we have been slowly but inexorably moving towards a cliff edge, money that isnt (actual) being lent and aims of endless growth on a planet of finite resources being the wheels taking us forward. Im gripped by the initial explanations and intrigued by the fact that in a society where we have achieved so much in some fields we have allowed this system to survive at all. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete